Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Why is it okay for you?

So tonight I had a conversation with someone that I've had before, not with this individual per se but with quite a number of people over the years and I'm starting to wonder. . . why is it okay for you?

The fellow I was talking to today was asking me why i don't do more with my life. He wanted to know why I'm "wasting" my life working as a bouncer rather than doing something meaningful, rather than accomplishing something, rather than being remember, changing the world etc.

Because I don't want to.

Part of being happy in life is knowing your place in the world, it's knowing what it is the universe wants from you and accepting that and working toward that rather than fighting it because I'll tell you. . .the universe always wins.

I know my place, I'm not supposed to be rich, or famous, or loved. I'm not supposed to change the world, or make a difference, or be remembered. I'm not supposed to do anything great, or have a family, or be anyone in particular.

My life is supposed to be as one of the nameless masses. I'm supposed to live quietly, alone, without fanfare, joy, or hope and to die alone.

And I'm okay with that.

It doesn't bother me that no-one will remember my name in years to come, or that nobody will cry when I pass along. I'm fine with that. As long as I have food in my belly and a roof over my head I have no particular desire to accomplish anything, or change anything, or do anything.

The part I don't get is why this is acceptable for the vast majority of the population but everyone keeps getting on my case for it? Why is it okay for everyone else to move through the world without leaving a mark but not for me?

Seriously, mind your own damn business people.

Some people are wanted for who they are, others for what they can do.

Nobody gives two shits about me for who I am and I don't blame them. I'm a lot of things and most of them aren't particularly nice. Rather people like having me around for what I can do for them specifically the fact that I'm big and strong and take a punch well.

And I'm okay with that.

Anyway, I'll end the late night rant with that.

Till next we meet. . .

No comments: