Saturday, May 26, 2007

That was close

So yesterday someone tried to kill me. I don't think he intended to but that wouldn't have made me any less dead had he succeeded. I was riding on my motorcycle when a moron cut into my lane doing about 30 less than the traffic and hit his brakes, fortunately I managed to not stuff myself up his tailpipe but it was a close thing.

I've always wondered when people talk about situations like that and say "My life flashed before my eyes" because in all the times I've nearly died I've never had that happen. Rather I find that I'm too focused on fighting my hardest to worry about little things like the rest of my life. If anything I find the rest of time and space vanishes, leaving just this little pocket of here and now which is all that matters.

It makes me wonder how many people find themselves going into that long night when they could otherwise have avoided it. How many people see the grim reaper coming and find themselves frozen with fear, unable to do anything but await what they feel is the inevitable?

It also makes me wonder how many of us out there see the grim reaper coming and find ourselves appearing frozen with fear, so as to trick him into a false sense of security so we can kick him in the balls and run like hell?

Till next we meet. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now is your life, it's the only life you have.

Phat Stu said...

Yes but the now is composed of the past, like the individual water molecules that come together to make a snowflake so do the events of our past come together to make up our present.

To pretend the past doesn't exist or deny it's importance in the now is like the snowflake denying the existance of the water molecules which make it what it is.

The key is to accept all and to develop the skill of choosing one's focus. Sometimes it is best to focus on the whole snowflake, sometimes it's required that we focus on the water molecules as invidivuals.