Tuesday, October 16, 2007

And we'll have some fun in the Underground

Well, I'm in London!

The flight was exactly what you would expect, that is to say I found myself trapped in a seat that was slightly too small for a 12 year old for about 8 hours. Really it was okay, the food was strangely tolerable and I didn't even bother with the in-flight movie. Rather I read, and slept as well as I can in a strange environment surrounded by people I don't know. Apparently I didn't snore. . . or I didn't snore sufficiently to overcome my fellow passanger's fear of waking me.

Upon arriving I picked up my bag, which had come around just as I got the carosel which was a strange and slightly unnerving occurance. Having arrived with such fortuitous timing I was expecting to find that not only had my bag been searched but that it had been raped and pillaged as well. . . strangely not.

I managed to make my way on the underground with great success and reached my hostel with no problems at all. This one was less luck and more advanced planning, in choosing my hostel I had intentionally picked one that was a direct ride on the underground from the airport and in fact is directly across the street from Hammersmith station, most convenient.

I did also score myself a pay as you go phone with a local number so if anyone would like that number either call or facebook me for it. It costs me a bit thought so don't be disappointed if I don't pass it along, it doesn't mean that I don't love you it just means that I love you less than I love other people.

Upon my arrival I disovered the first inaccuracy on the web site and was forced to sit and wait until 2pm until I could check in, this was okay as it allowed me to grab a burger and a couple of pints. . . it's not like I'm driving anywhere for the next 3 weeks so I can't see any harm in spending that time half cut.

When finally I checked in they sent me up to my room, 301. You would normally expect this to be on the third floor but apparently the "new" math is still too much for some people and its actually about four and a half floors up. There is no elevator, which is okay, but the staircase is this tight, twisting thing that I can barely fit through on my own. . . imagine me with a 72L, 50lbs backpack on. Suffice it to say that I have a whole new appreciation for the term "wedged in place".

After that I went for a wander and found myself an internet cafe in which to type this up. There are some strange differences here though. . . the keyboard is different and I must have hit the £ sign three times before I figured out that the @ was located somewhere else. The other problem is that the letter "n" is rather sticky. . . I'm working hard to convince myself that it's just some spilled coke and that it's all going to be okay.

Well, that's it for now folks.

Till next we meet. . .

No comments: